Another month has come and gone, just like that. I don’t know about you, but since the beginning of this pandemic and the lockdown, I have lost so much track of time. Days just seem to blend in with each other. As we come to the end of another month of social distancing, we are now beginning to see some signs of the “re-opening” process. As Christians, we continue to give thanks and praise to God for the many blessings and graces that he has bestowed upon us. Although we have not been able to worship as a community, we know that the Lord Jesus is in our midst.
Reopening our Churches
The City of New York has now entered into the 2nd Phase of the reopening process. Following the guidelines from the Diocese of Brooklyn, here are the official dates and guidelines for reopening St. Martin dePorres Parish:
– Weekday Mass will begin on Monday, June 29, 2020 with the normal weekday Mass schedule that is, Monday to Friday at 8:00AM at Our Lady of Victory Upper Church (not St. Anthony’s Chapel). Monday and Wednesday at 12:00Noon at St. Peter Claver Church
– Attendance must not exceed 25% of Capacity of the Church. No more than 150 people are to be in Our Lady of Victory at one time and 75 people at St. Peter Claver
– Everyone must wear a face mask!
– Holy Communion will be given on the hand
– Sunday Masses at our three churches will begin the weekend of July 18/19 with the normal Mass schedule
Funeral Masses may now be celebrated at each of our three churches, following the guidelines listed above. I will continue to update you as we progress further into the phases of reopening.
Father Daniel Kingsley
We have been blessed here at St. Martin de Porres to have Father Kingsley serve as our Parochial Vicar. He has actually been with us since his ordination to the Diaconate in November 2014. Newly ordained priests are assigned to their first parish for a period of 5 years. The Bishop may extend that by a year or two, but that is at his discretion. Just about two weeks ago, Father Kingsley was informed that he would be the new Administrator of St. Clare Parish in Rosedale, Queens. The current Pastor, Father Andy Struzzieri has entered into hospice care at the Rectory. Bishop DiMarzio has asked Father Kingsley to report to St. Clare’s on June 30. This all happened very quickly! Because of the pandemic, we are unable to give Father Kingsley and proper farewell. He will come back sometime during the Fall so that we can say goodbye to him properly. As you know, St. Clare’s was my first assignment as a newly ordained priest. That parish will always have a special place in my heart, as St. Martin de Porres has a special place in Father Kingsley’s heart. Please pray for him, Father Andy and the parishioners of St. Clare’s.
I am very happy to welcome Father Franklin Ezeorah as our new Parochial Vicar. I will let you know more about him in next week’s letter
Wishing each of you a peaceful week,
Father Alonzo Q. Cox